Tom Balcom, CFP®, CAIA, MBA – Founder of 1650 Wealth Management
Tom began his career in the financial services industry in 1998, working at two of the nation’s largest brokerage firms. His passion for educating and protecting his clients’ wealth developed as he witnessed novice investors entrusting their life savings to “financial advisors”, whose top priority was meeting their monthly sales quotas.
Tom aspired to differentiate himself from the crowd. In 2000, he earned an MBA degree with a specialization in investments from the University of Miami and became a fee-only, independent, registered investment advisor at a private wealth management firm in Miami, Foldes Financial Management. Tom earned the Certified Financial Planner (CFP®) designation in 2003 and the Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA) designation in 2005.
In 2010, after gaining over a decade of private wealth management experience, Tom took his passion for educating and protecting his clients’ wealth and founded 1650 Wealth Management as a Registered Investment Advisory firm. It was imperative for Tom to create an independent, fee-only firm with a fiduciary duty, so he could provide his clients’ with 100% objective investment management advice and complete transparency. Working as a fee-only, independent, private wealth management investment advisor, Tom does not sell investment products or receive sales commissions, allowing him to focus on actively managing and creating custom investment management strategies, to both protect and grow his clients wealth.
Tom is a highly credentialed and recognized industry expert in working with alternative investments. He has spoken at numerous industry conferences including: Structured Products Americas Conference, MTN-I Structured Products Conference, Super Bowl of Indexing Conference, Innovative Alternative Strategies Conference, North American Structured Products Conference, Forum on Alternative Investments, Retail Alternative Investments and the Financial Planning Association of Miami.
He is a contributing guest blogger for the Structured Retail Products Blog and has been interviewed by top news and financial publications including: Bloomberg Businessweek, New York Times, CNBC, Investment News, Daily Business Review, CNNMoney.com, Structured Products Daily, Registered Rep, SmartMoney, Forbes, Robb Report, Worth, Structured Retail Products, NerdWallet.com, SunSentinel.com, Florida Trend Magazine and South Florida Business Journal.
He serves as an adjunct professor within Barry University’s Personal Financial Planning program and in 2014, Tom was asked to serve as an expert witness on behalf of the Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards (CFP Board).
Originally from Nashua, New Hampshire, Tom has made South Florida his home for nearly 20 years. Tom, his wife and his daughter reside in Lighthouse Point, Florida. In his free time, you will find Tom golfing, playing softball, spending time with his family and actively supporting his alma mater’s football and basketball teams.
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP®)
- Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst (CAIA)
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) – University of Miami
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) – University of Miami – Specialization: Investments
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- 2014 Alternative Investment Awards – Independent Private Wealth Manager – Florida
- 10 Year Service Award – Financial Planning Association (FPA) of Greater Fort Lauderdale
- 2008 Structured Product Association LeadingEdge Advisor Award Winner
- Adjunct Professor – Barry University – Personal Financial Planning Program
- Board Member – Financial Planning Association of Greater Fort Lauderdale – 2011 President | 2012 Chairman
- Chairman – Lauderdale-by-the-Sea Chamber of Commerce
- School Board Member – Christ Church School
- Men’s Golf Association Member – Coral Ridge Country Club